The PhD in English requires 90 semester hours beyond the bachelor’s degree or 60 semester hours beyond the master’s, including 51 hours of coursework, and a minimum of 9-hours dissertation.
Residency Requirements for the PhD
Students may satisfy residency requirements in two ways:
- Serve as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (GAT) or a Graduate Research Assistant (GAR) for at least one academic year. GATs (will carry at least the minimum course load to maintain the assistantship and must successfully complete ENG 675. GATs will be mentored and observed in both the Writing Center and in teaching assistants' classrooms. In addition, students will be expected to observe others as they tutor and teach. Students will be encouraged to participate in the Spanish and English Graduates for Academic Development organization and to submit papers for presentation in regional and national conferences. Students will also be expected to maintain contact with the Doctoral Coordinator for English periodically to make sure they are on track to complete their degree; or,
- Without the one-year teaching assistantship and ENG 675, students are required to take no fewer than four classes each academic year for two years, and must do so by enrolling in both the fall and spring semesters as well as at least one summer session. At least one of those courses must focus on pedagogy.
In addition, if students do not serve as a GAT or GAR, they must maintain a portfolio of “residency activities” that contribute to professional development in their area of focus for each academic year prior to the completion of the comprehensive exam. The portfolio should document that development; in particular, the portfolio should be prefaced by a brief (2-3 pages) reflective analysis of the activities for that year.
- Conferences and workshops (attendance, participation, organization, etc.)
- Lectures and presentations
- Professional development activities
- Departmental academic advisement
- Development of multimedia resources
- Participation in student organizations (e.g. EGAD)
- Interaction with scholars via the Internet, email, etc.
The Doctoral Coordinator will evaluate portfolios as part of students' annual review of academic progress. If professional development activities are judged inadequate, students will be informed within two weeks of the evaluation and asked to meet with the Doctoral Coordinator to make a to meet residency requirements.
The research tools requirement for the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in English can be met with any of the following options:
- Twelve semester hours of college-level classes in one foreign language, as verified by official transcript, or
- Successful completion of a foreign language reading exam, as assess by departmental faculty, or
- Verified native or near-native competence in a second language, as assessed by oral examination.
- Completion of any four of the following courses, with a grade of B or above: ENG 501, ENG 520, ENG 599, ENG 613, ENG 686, ENG 710, ENG 780, PSY 612.
In addition to the coursework, foreign language, and residence requirements, doctoral students must take a qualifying examination under the direction of an advisor and two other committee members from the department. An examination, consisting of both written and oral portions, is required at or near the completion of coursework and before officially beginning work on the dissertations. Consult the Doctoral Coordinator for English for details about timing and structure of the PhD examination.
Requirements for the dissertation are as follows:
- Student writes a dissertation in the area of concentration under the direction of an adviser and two other committee members from the department, plus one member from another department.
- The dissertation process requires a written proposal and oral defense of the proposal before the committee. The proposal defense is open to the university community.
- The dissertation requires a final oral defense after completion. The oral defense is open to the university community.
Doctor of Philosophy in English
|18 semester hours minimum of ENG courses.||18|
|No less than 9 semester hours|
|ENG 718||Doctoral Dissertation||3-12|
|6 semester hours minimum in ENG courses||6|
|21 semester hours of ENG courses||21|
Research Tools (included in 60 hour program)
|Research tools for the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in English can be met in one of two ways:|
1. Twelve semseter hours of college or graduate-level classes in one foreign language, or completion of a foreign language proficiency exam, or verified native or near-native competence in a second language.
|6 semester hours of ENG courses||6|
NOTE: No course beyond the master's program that is over ten years old at the time the doctoral degree is conferred can be used toward the doctoral degree.